Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Finished!

Just finished up the app and waiting for the market link.

Advertisements

Able to continue working on the diary.

Fixed up the graphics and visual appearance a bit. Apparently, what I had before made the words too dark to see. Much more pleasant to the eye now. Or maybe its just my personal preference.

Worked on the Media screen. Spent a while thinking of ways to fix up the lag. I’m sure threading is the first thing I should try out. Luckily, I found this article, http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/07/multithreading-for-performance.html. Very good information. Well, I followed their examples and adjusted what they did for asynchronously loading images and indeed, a lot of the lag was gone. However, I’m not too happy with the remaining lag. Since I was already loading up the images in another thread, I believe the lag might be coming from me constantly decoding my images each time. I’m going to make the assumption that I should store the decoded images in a cache folder and call that when I search for images. Took a look at more of the blog post and they had information about caches also.  I adapted the cache to work with my code, but I didn’t notice a difference. Did some other changes I think that would help me increase the speed, but still looks like no changes at all.

I was ready to put that aside and work on my other parts until I noticed that I had never wrote the part of the code that actually saved the decoded files to the cache folder. No wonder it never found a image and went to decode an image. After I fixed up that problem, the lag was almost gone. However, there was still a bit of lag. Apparently, some images wouldn’t stay on the imageViews. I’m not sure was it because it was reusing the imageViews or was it just recycling them after they wont off the screen.  I just know that because I still have to pull up the images, that should be the part still causing the lag. I finally noticed that I had a limit of 30 in the hashmap. After I increased the upper limit, my lag was gone! I’m extremely happy. Can’t wait to work on the next part. Which should be creating my own ListView.

Well, after all those projects, exams, labs, homeworks, and other stuff, I finally found time to work on my Diary app for a day.

Went back to work on the media part of the app not working properly. Everything should be working, the code should be right, basically it should be working right? Except it just wasn’t saving any of the files.

I remember I was stuck on this problem for days before school started and I finally discovered why. Turns out when I was creating the filenames, I was naming the time using XX:XX:XX format without remembering that the : symbol can not be used in filenames.

Well finally fixed that problem. Fixed up a couple of other minor bugs involving the password screen and the entry screen. I also created a tiny mini gallery to look through all the pictures, videos, and sound files that were stored for the day.  However, I noticed that when there was a lot of images, it got a bit laggy and also slow. I think I’ll have to run this part as a seperate thread and also cache the thumbnail pictures.

Sadly, my only day to work on the app is over so I’ll work on that next time.

So happy, I’m almost done.

Little note to self

Finally fixed up this graphical error I’ve been getting.
Turns out the error is coming from me using setImageResource instead of setBackgroundResource. One will fill out the entire background while the other one would fill out the background while keeping the image constraints.

Database Working

Started to work back on project after a few days of rest.

Been playing with my new phone, the LG P920, that came on the 10th. Very Amazing Phone.

Anyway, about the project… I got the database working after reading some SQLITE tutorials and info. Works pretty well and I added some stuff to make out more usable for users.

However, now I got a new idea for the entry screen so I’ll be redesigning the entry screen a bit.

With current progress, I believe I’m about 75% done. Probably closer to 78% if I round things up.

Anyway, new phone is amazing! I can’t wait for the gingerbread update!

Half Done

Pretty much half done with the project.

I had a lot of trouble with using the canvas and onDraw. Takes a while to position things properly. At the moment, I hope they scale properly. I haven’t tested that out on other devices yet.

I fixed up most errors with the stuff I’ve been doing, but there’s the occasional forceclose that I can’t seem to figure out.

It’s happening as a OutOfMemoryError: bitmap size exceeds VM Budget. Kind of very frustrating because it happens sometimes and not at other times. I’m going to leave this as a issue to fix after I finish everything.

As of now, I’m learning SQLite. Hopefully I can finish this part soon.

Wonderful Progress…

Made very wonderful progress.

Spent a long amount of time creating my own Password screen.

At first, I was thinking of creating a Pattern Protect Screen, but I decided against the idea, because I’m not experienced yet in drawing on a canvas, which is what I believe I need to do for the pattern method.

I’ve created the Password Protection Screen and also made all the other settings functional. I’ve created a Reset Password option and got it working pretty well. I’ve tied up some loose ends and also made a First Time User Set Settings thing to guide the New User a bit.

Learned a lot of new concepts doing this, so fun.

4 am now, but I’m happy to say that I’ve finished pretty much everything in this part. I’m now officially 1/3 done!